81 GTV6 oil pump hose?

Hi:
When I removed the lower oil pan today on my '81 GTV6, I found something in
the oil pan that I have not seen on either my '85 GTV6 or the 3 liter
engine I installed in it.  The oil pump was different to the later GTV6 in
having a loop of metal pipe around the body of the oil pump (just above the
screened oil pickup).  One end was sealed off, the other was connected to a
length of serpentine, flattened hose which (presumably) was coiled near the
bottom of the oil pan.  I could not see what purpose this could possibly
serve.
I'm certain it is not installed on later model V6 engines - and since the
hose was old and frayed, I had to remove it, installed the lower pan and
the car runs fine.
Anyone have any idea what this is/was?
Cheers
Michael