Re: The Best GTV

I've struggled with which year GTV is the "best" for a while.  For a long
time, the '69 was the best for me, mainly due to the cleaner trim, nicer
dash/console, and way cool seats (esp. the euro ones).  However, the 1750 is
still never going to match a 2000 (yea, maybe in stock trim, but after a few
simple tweeks.... ).  The '69 is also devoid of an LSD.  Does the '69 differ
from the 2000's with regard to brakes or suspension components?  I thought it
did, but don't know for sure (John H. can you shed some light here?).

The '71 does away with some of the odd-ball mechanical stuff (boosters and
floor pedals), but also does away with some of the charming bits (seats, side
marker lights, bumpers).

The '72 gets the bigger engine, but also gets the ugly interior, ugly grill
and cheapo dash.

The '73 gets the wooden wheel and bigger fuel tank, and has an LSD.

The '74 loses the bigger fuel tank.

As far as I'm concerned, each year has something desirable, but no year has
all the best bits.  The ultimate GTV imho, is one with the '69 body, with
hanging pedals, a worked 2l, LSD, and the '69 interior (Euro style, please),
and the bigger fuel tank.  If you prefer body work, start with a '73 and
change the grill, marker lights, windshield, bumpers, and replace the
interior.  If you prefer mechanical work , take a '69 and swap the
mechanicals with a '73... oh, and don't forget the cut the fire wall for
those hanging pedals......

I was recently at Summit Point where one of the instructors had a '71+? GT
Junior with a 2 liter.  Now that was a nice combination.  Simple, clean,
interior (with nice gages) and exterior with all the guts below.

my $0.02

bob brady, dvaroc
'74 gtv
'88 verde