Death on the racetrack(no alfa content)

Concrete walls certainly contribute to the more
serious nature of some motor racing accidents but
personally, I think it's speed.  Indy cars on an oval
sometimes go through the TURNS at over 230mph.  I'm
sorry, but I don't care how young and talented or how
quick the reflexes... at those speeds you are a
passenger, not a driver.
It's not the teams, track owners and promoters but the
sanctioning bodies that need to slow these time
capsules down, by restricting power output and making
tracks more challenging.  The FIA has done it for
years when they see cars getting too fast (although I
don't agree with grooved tires and downforce
restrictions).  Can you imagine todays F-One cars on
some of the old G.P. tracks that had "mile long"
straights?

The drivers don't want to go that fast but they are
forced to, in order to win (ask motorcycle legend,
Kenny Roberts, why he retired).  The fans don't care
how fast racers are going as long as the racing
itself, is good.  From a spectator standpoint, it's
hard to tell the difference between 180mph and 220mph.
 But from a driver's standpoint, covering the hundred
meter dash in less than one second is crazy.

Thanks for the vent. I'll hush now.  I'm sorry, but in
1996 my friend, Lee Brayton, lost his son Scott at
Indy and little 2 year old, Carly Brayton, lost her
daddy, this business with Moore's death really has me
pissed off!  I'll spare you any further ranting...

Dave Miller
Deltona, Florida
1984 GTV6