Re: F1 and Eddie I, CART and Greg

Gordy Hyde <GordonHyde@domain.elided> wrote:

> I tuned in late and may have missed a plausible explanation.
> I was under the impression that Eddie led Mika by 4 points
> going into this race.  No if Ferrari had held Michael back
> and Eddie had finished second, wouldn't there have been a
> tie???   What is the tie-breaker?  Or was Ferrari making a
> statement for Eddie going to Stewart (Ford) next year?

In the event that two drivers finish the season with the same
number of points, the championship goes to the driver with the
most first-place finishes.  With his first-place finish in
Japan counting toward the total, Hakkinen would still have won
the championship on these grounds had Irvine finished second.

Under the circumstances at Japan, Irvine's only shot at the
title was for Schumacher to beat Hakkinen.  Toward that end,
Schumacher had to challenge Hakkinen right down to the last
corner, ready to take advantage of any mistake or mechanical
problem with the McLaren.  Team orders at that point would
not have helped Irvine; they would have hurt him.

- - Tom