Re: alfa-digest V7 #1130 - VVT, Sway Bars and Steering Wheels

In a message dated 11/01/1999 5:40:32 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:50:07 -0600
 From: "Oscar Johnson" <otjohnson@domain.elided>
 Subject: Spide rear sway bar and VVT device

 For Paul Witek: the 82 Model Year Spider still had the mechanical VVT
 device.
    True.  80 through 84 models are mechanical VVT.  The 85 and later are
electronic solenoid.

 For the person looking for Spider rear sway bar: I just sent my stripped 82
 Spider to the metal recyclers. If I can retrieve the rear sway bar, would
 you like to have it?
    End links on the sway bars changed at some point.  My wife's 87 and 91
spiders are not the same style as your 1982 had.  I think the guy asking has
a 90.  My 84 and 85 also have the early style.  So they must have changed
about 1986 or 87.  If the end links have exposed nuts, they are early style.
If they have plastic covers, probably tan colored, they are late style.

 For the person looking for a wooden steering wheel: would you like the one
 that I removed from the 82 Spider Veloce?
    Steering wheels also changed.  Actually, as I recall it is the horn
activation mechanism that changed.  My 87 has a black rubber wheel without an
air bag.  Your 82 wheel will bolt onto the late model, but the horn mechanism
will not interchange.  Plus the turn signal cancellation may not work.  This
from memory.  I tried to change wheels found it would not be a direct bolt on
and did not bother to modify and make things work.
    I have not tried to remove an air bag steering wheel.

 O.T. Johnson
 Prattville, AL
 86 Graduate

Ciao,