The Pits

Thought you should all know that we had a recent double fatality in a root
cellar type pit at a farm, near my City. seems that the breathable air was
displaced by an unknown gas, possibly just CO2, and caused the death of a
young teenage girl who just went to retrieve some vegetables, and her
brother who tried to rescue her. The father just barely escaped with his
life after trying to rescue both of his children. Confined space entry is
not a trivial safety hazard, no matter how convenient the idea of a pit
seems to be.

  I concur with all posters concerning garage pits. They are damned useful
and I've used one. They are also extremely dangerous and no one should even
think of building one unless proper positive ventilation is installed AND
used BEFORE anyone descends into the pit. Positive ventilation should be
used all the time the pit is in use as well. A hoist is a much better idea
and probably more economical in the long run.  Garage crawler anyone?

CO is heavier than air, and so is CO2 (Duh). So are gasoline fumes, and
Propane. Trouble is it can take just seconds for a person descending into
the pit to be overcome. Less than that for a static spark to explode
flammable gases therein. I practice in the area of Occupational Health and
Safety (among my various legal duties) and I point out that many activities
previously felt safe are no longer considered to be worth the risk.
Basically, just about any hazard can be compensated for by appropriate
safety procedures and equipment, BUT good design predicates that such
compensating factors should be the last resort. There is no substitute for
good design.

Older cars are great, provided they are driven skillfully and with full
appreciation for the safety advances made since their original manufacture.
Modern cars are inherently safer by design and require less skill to drive
safely. Older service facilities do not have similar appeal. Get a hoist
and build the roof higher!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada