Steve's alternator light

In Digest no.1129, Steve wrote of the charge lamp lighting in his Spider, =
and glowing more brightly when he turns on the heater fan (which he found =
does not work). Now I don't know about the 1984 Spider specifically, but =
in many other 70s and 80s Alfas the fuse and wiring for the heater fan are =
also part of the charge lamp circuit, which is also part of the alternator =
field circuit...... so it might be worth checking whether the fan problem =
is due to a dirty connection or blown fuse in the fan circuit (rather than =
a crook fan itself)..... dirty connections in this area of the circuitry =
can cause false no-charge indications by the charge lamp, while actual =
open circuits can cause genuine lack of charge due to lack of field =
current for the alternator. You never know, it might be that simple..... =
finding a fuse or wiring fault to get the fan to work may fix the charge =
lamp effects too.  =20

On the other hand, the charge lamp may be indicating a real lack of =
charge...... check this by measuring your battery voltage with motor off, =
then with it running and with headlights off then on.... see if the =
voltage is maintained adequately.   Depending on what you find, then we =
can carry on from there........

Best regards,
Graham in NZ
(77 Alfetta, 71 GTV, 82-82-84 Alfasuds)