Trans trouble...stuck in 4th

  I pulled the trans out of my verde and seperated it
to re-seal it and stop the leaks.  I got everything
back together and tried to start the car but it was
stuck in what seemed to be a high gear.  The shift
linkage moved through the 1-2 shift o.k. but seemed to
be hitting an obstruction if I tried to go to 3,4,5 or
rev., and even though the shifter moved it had no
effect on the trans.  Also, depressing the clutch did
nothing to disengage the power delivery to the trans,
even though I seemingly had clutch action (I watched
the fork move while an assistant depressed the clutch.
Also, while under the car I noticed that the gear
selector input shaft was moving fore and aft but
wouldn't move side to side).
  The trans is now back out, and seperated again, and
4th gear was engaged.  I see notning that looks out of
place, however the 3-4 shift rod is very difficult to
move.  The 1-2 rod can easily be moved, engaging first
or second, as well as the 5-rev rod.  I have been able
to get 3-4 to engage but only with much more force
than necessary for the other gears.
  Questions...why would the trans be stuck in 4th?
Why would the clutch have no effect?  The trans worked
perfect a week ago (before I got a hold of it).
Should I just reassemble it and reinstall it in
neutral and see what happens.  It's only a couple
hours work to put it in or take it out, but this is
getting old pretty quick.
  Any advice welcomed...
thanks
Bryan Carter