Alfa engine design

Scott Fisher <sefisher@domain.elided>
wrote about Alfa use of Spica etc being ahead of others.

What about the variable inlet valve timeing in the Twin Spark engines ??.

My '91 UK 164TS has that and I presume it was around well before then - yet
the Japaneses advert hype here is full of  "VTi"s  "VVI"s  "VVtec"s  and the
like all trying to make out they have just made some marvellous innovative
advance in engine development - what took them so long to copy Alfa ??.

Anyone know when the TS or any other Alfa first had any form of variable
valve timing ??

and if Alfa were indeed the first to use it on a mass production engine ??

Geoff

gran-turismo@domain.elided