164S Over Acceleration

Out of the blue the other morning, I started my '91 164S and a few seconds
later, it began reving just over 2000 rpms on its own. I drove off to work
anyway and 30 minutes later when I arrived, it was reving just over 3000 rpm
(in neutral of course). Right now, two days later the problem is
intermittent, but normal most of the time.

Any ideas or suggestions what this may be? Thanks in advance you all.