Post paid speeding tickets

Here in Alberta we have mail in speeding fines, no points, no insurance
surcharge, the faster you were going when the Multanova radar-triggered
camera photographed your license plate, the more you pay. Very civilized,
quite stupid and virtually useless, for speed control anyway!

Here's the drill, drive fast past a parked car with the Multanova unit in
it, the radr triggers the camera which photo's the back of your vehicle.
Three weeks later you get the ticket in the mail and you just mail in your
tax..oops ...fine.

It would be unconstitutional to hold the owner responsible for the driver's
offence, so we manufactured a special owner's offence, essentially lending
your car to a scofflaw. The neatest irony is that if the car is stolen and
used to speed, you're innocent! Lend your car to a guy who assures you he
won't speed and then does and you're guilty. Baffling, but no points, no
insurance surcharge.

Trouble is, they have regular enforcement too so you can't rely on just
having to mail in the cheque.  BTW, out of State plates can't be ticketed
by the photo radar, no way to get you to pay much less prove who you are.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner