Hard top hoist for Spider factory hard top

Hi everyone.

For a few months now I've been considering making a cable and pulley
hoist assembly of some sort for my Spider's hard top.  It would be
installed on the ceiling in the garage to allow me to remove and
replace the hard top by myself.

I found some ready-made hoists in the Beverly Hills Motoring catalog
but they're mostly for Mercedes and BMW autos (what a surprise).
Does anyone make such a thing for Alfa Romeo Spiders?

The BHM hoists cost about $200 each (oh, and for a mere $500 extra
you can get an electric motor upgrade).  I haven't priced parts, but
I suspect I could build one for $40 or less (without the motor, of
course).  I'm still inclined to give it a shot myself.

Has anyone here done this before?

  -Robert
   1985 GTV6
   1987 Spider Quadrifoglio

  Robert Abatecola       | Internet Connectivity, VPN, DSL, ISDN,
  The Stradivarian Group | Low Cost Web Hosting, Network Consulting,
  (408) 257-4482         | Software Development, Database Development,
  robert@domain.elided       | Mac OS/UNIX/Windows, System Administration