another grain of salt?

In AD7-1106 Charlie Pottree tells a tale of a "shipment of Alfas to San
Francisco where they were fueled (for offloading from the ship) with gasoline
from a leaking storage tank that was polluted with sea water.  The salt water
in the fuel system messed up these cars (164s as I recall the tale) so much
that when the customers complained, they were replaced by Alfa.  Don't know
is this is strictly true, one of those legends, or if they were subsequently
resold to unsuspecting marks."

The ex-company source who had told me about the shipboard
fire/flooding/salvage situation which I mentioned on AD7-1103 says (A) that
the 164s never came in through San Francisco/Oakland (using LA instead) and
(B) that he never heard any salt/164 tales. (And I believe he would have - -)
Also, in my limited experience loading/unloading my own cars in Rotterdam,
Southampton and New York and also driving new TD MGs from dock to dealer at
the port of Chicago the cars crossed with fuel in their own tanks so there
was no occasion for fueling for offloading. So the San Francisco 164s may be
just one of those legends-

I heard from another friend who had purchased a "never titled" 1974 Berlina
in 1976 or 1977, with 1400 miles on it- ostensibly a car used by a company
rep (at fifty miles a month?) which was catastrophically rusted within two
years- quite possibly one of the 27 1974 Berlinas which Kevin Trent had found
mentioned on the web
(http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm) as  NHTSA
CAMPAIGN ID Number: 75V044000, although I would have expected them to be
crushed. Ancient history by now, a bit late to be separating myths from
legends.

Enjoy the survivors-

John H.