Re: 105 driveline vibs

I should have summarized my tale of driveline woe a little better in my
recent post: The entire driveline has been disassembled (save for the
bushing pressed into the front of the front section which was like new),
inspected for damage, straightness, tight-fitting splines and coupling to
the tranny output shaft, reassembled with all new U-joints, donut, seals,
center support and bearing (all ricambi originale), reassembled to original
position (I believe) with U-joint yokes aligned and all joints working
smoothly, and balanced by a reputable shop (I was told they do it on the
car, but I don't know for sure). The driveline was observed to contact the
tunnel periodically, so rear end was rebushed with polyurethane. No more
clunking, but vibration still present at 65 mph. Driveline was removed and
shimmed at the donut coupling to relieve longitudinal tension on the donut
and reinstalled. The transmission support bracket was also shimmed downward
by one washer.

Currently I'm experiencing worse driveline vibration than before, but still
only evident at 65 mph or above. So, it seems I've either damaged the
driveline so that it's out of balance, or it was never balanced properly to
begin with, or the engine/driveline/rear axle are not aligned properly.
Rebalancing the driveline should eliminate the first two possible causes,
and laser-based alignment at a reputable body shop should take care of the
last. My previous post just asked about people's experience with new or
remanufactured drivelines (such as available at IAP) as a last, desperate
option instead of rebalancing the old. Please forgive me for not wanting to
recount my tale of woe. I really want to end this thread ;-)

Mike
74 GTV