Re: alfa-digest V7 #1103

In a message dated 10/19/1999 11:30:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Years ago I had heard of a new Giulietta Spider on the showroom floor at
 Chuck Stoddard's, in Ohio, in which part of the exterior trim fell off
 between the time the building doors were locked one evening and opened the
 next morning- attributed to rust from salt-water immersion in transit.

 Endless possibilities for apocrypha.  >>

Didja hear the one about the shipment of Alfas to San Francisco where they
were fueled (for offloading from the ship) with gasoline from a leaking
storage tank that was polluted with sea water.  The salt water in the fuel
system messed up these cars (164s as I recall the tale) so much that when the
customers complained, they were replaced by Alfa.  Don't know is this is
strictly true, one of those legends, or if they were subsequently resold to
unsuspecting marks.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
84 GTV6
87 75 (spending a lot of time in the hospital with a driveline vibration
problem)