starter motor ? motors in general

In a message dated 10/19/99 11:30:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Power to the motor was fine.  I took
 the motor out and dismantled it.  One brush had apparently been making poor
 contact and heating up.  The heat melted the brush holder, eventually causing
 the brush to stick and preventing it from contacting the commutator.  I
unstuck
 the brush, cleaned up the holder so the brush slid properly, made sure it was
 making good contact, and buttoned things up. >>

I was wondering if the same thing can happen in a starter motor??
I've got a 84 spider that won't start after a long road trip, otherwise seems
to be just fine.  I'm thinking its heat related.  The car starts and runs
fine usually but will sometimes do nothing when I turn the ignition key. the
car will, after sitting, start right up wihtout recharging the battery or
anything. any thoughts?

Victor