Air grate color

Time for a petty request.

I am in the gradual process of repairing sloppy paint "damage" by a prior
owner on my 86 Spider. Color is pretty close to the original Arctic White,
though carelessness left just about anything that wasn't rubber or glass
bathed in paint. That includes the air grate on the hood (between the
wipers). I have it off and am prepping it for paint. (I can only handle small
projects at a time.) Now for the killer question.

  - Is the air grate supposed to be the same color as the body, or should it
be black?

  - If it is black, should it be glossy, satin, or flat?

I checked every photo I could find on the web of 80-ish Spiders, and find it
painted both ways. Since I am going to the trouble of renewing the paint on
that part, I would like to be as true to the original as I can. Any
suggestions?

I did say this was petty.

Bob Rice
Tampa