Re: '89 Spider: power windows died

Ron King had both power windows on his 89n Spider quit simultaneously.

> 1) I've read others on the list talking about relays. I don't really know
>  what those are, but I was wondering if the windows used them, and if they
>  do, where are they and how can I check them.
>
>  2) There are a few big square things plugged in right next to the fuse
box.
>  I'm afraid I don't know what they are. Are any of them related to the
> windows?

Well, Ron, you are on the right track. You don't appear to have assumed the
unlikely possibility of both window motors quitting. Assuming that you indeed
have good power coming out of the #1 fuse, the first place I would check is
the relay. It may be one of the "few big square things" next to the fuse box.
On my 86 Spider, the window relay is on the fuse box, top row, just right of
center. The relay in your 89 may not be located the same, but it will be
there somewhere. If you have the owner's manual, you should have a diagram
showing the location.

The relay is a device for handling high levels of current. The low power
window buttons activate the high current relays which run the high-power
demand windows. (Except in your case.) If you suspect the relay, you can
remove it, clean all of the contacts, and plug it back in. If that doesn't
work, and you feel electrically handy, you can remove the relay again and
test it by applying 12 volts to the input posts. You should hear or feel a
very faint clicking.

If that doesn't work, submit another post looking for a replacement.

Good luck, Ron.

Bob Rice
Tampa
86 Spider