Re: alfa-digest V7 #1096

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:26:41 -0500
>  From: "George" <lag@domain.elided>
>  Subject: Subject: Doughnuts, donuts, bagels and giubos-
>
>  In AD7-1094 Scott Corsaro asks "Are the Italian's the only people who use
>  the
>  doughnut in the drive shaft? - - -  What are the advantages of a doughnut
>  over a "regular" drive shaft?"

My '70 MB 300SEL 6.3 uses a "Flex Disk" to connect the front of the
driveshaft to the transmission that's very similar to the Alfa's, i.e. high
maintenance.  I've replaced it once but with 434 Lb-ft of torque and the way
I drive it I wasn't surprised.

Don't know the pros and cons of this flexible coupling, seems to be more of a
European thing as you don't see them on American iron, afaik.  I have broken
driveshafts on American cars (by abuse) perhaps a rubber coupling would have
prevented this.

Regards,

Frank Formeister