Re: alfa-digest V7 #1094

In a message dated 10/14/99 4:37:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> >As far as rings go, Hastings (http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ ), can get you
>  what
>  >you want w/o a middle man and they're a good set for a street car.  I
>  >wouldn't recommend or even use a set of Deves rings even if they were
free.

>  >Ask me how I know!
>
>  Ok, I'd like to know.   Over the years I've built one 1750 and two 2000
>  engines with Deves rings and haven't had a problem (that I'm aware of), but
>   I'm going to do do another 2000 this winter, and I was thinking about
>  trying the Hastings.   What are the pros and cons of these two
>  alternatives?   Is one type better for certain applications?   Why is one
>  better than the other?    Thanks!
>
>  KCT
>  Knoxville, TN

The main reason I wouldn't recommend Deves is because I had all four top
rings on a high compression 1750 collapse (lose tension) after a few hundred
miles.  Re honed the liners, installed Hastings, broke them in the same way
and didn't have any problems.  Perhaps I received a faulty set from Deves but
I wasn't about to take another chance.

Regards,

Frank Formeister