Who built the Giulias?

In AD7-1094 Andrew Watry asks, of Giulia sedans, "But who built the bodies?
Did Alfa have a production line to weld Giulias together, or did they
contract the work out to Bertone, Pininfarina, or someone else?
"And I assume that, because Bertone did the restyle on the 1750/2000 Berlina,
they actually built those bodies.  Is that true too?"

The Giulia sedans and the 1750/2000 Berlinas were built entirely by Alfa
Romeo, as were the Giulietta sedans. Some modification work was farmed-out-
the Colli wagons being the best known. The only Alfa sedans that I know of
which were entirely farmed-out were the 2600 De Luxe tipo 106.16, which was
built in quite small numbers (about fifty cars) by O.S.I. (Officina Stampaggi
Industriali, in Turin) on the floorpan of the standard 2600 sedan.

The new plant at Arese came on-line in 1963, and I believe the Giulia GT was
the first Alfa model built entirely at Arese. The first Giulia sedans were
apparently built at Portello; about seven thousand were built in 1962,
against 27,000 in 1963, which were probably mostly built at Arese. I cannot
speak with certainty about the 2000 and 2600 sedans; their production started
during the Portello era and ended in the Arese era, and the numbers were not
large- about 4400 cars, of which about 950 were built after 1962 and thus
possibly at Arese. The 1900, Giulietta Berlina, Dauphines (tipo AR 1090) and
R-4s were built at Portello, again with the limited-production variants (the
Primavera by Boano, Giulietta Promiscua, the Giulietta Limousine) farmed out.

Pininfarina was the only one of the traditional artisan coachbuilders to
survive the transformation to a complete industrial production/assembly
operation; Bertone came closer to making it than Touring did, but the late
Sprints and Montreals, like the steel-bodied Touring Spiders and the Junior
Zagatos must have depended heavily on outside pressworks and outside
assemblers, as many moderate-production cars still do. (Photos of Bertone's
assembly line in the Grugliasco plant show a mix of Sprints, Sprint Speciales
and 2600 Sprints, but no Montreals.) Alfa's main business, from the 1900 on,
was building sedans and near-sedan coupes, and it would have made no sense
for them to have contracted-out the building of the sedan bodies.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.