help, no ignition on 85 alfa spider

hello everyone;
	I am having a problem with my 85 alfa spider. My wife called
me last week that she was stranded on the highway, the car just cut
out and would not start. After a ride home on a flatbed I checked and
found no current from the distributor so I went ahead and bought a new
one (I am sure Fred D. has some choice comments on this style of
'fixing' cars). The car started up and ran like a champ with the new
coil but then it still cut out again and only runs intermitently. I am
not upset about buying a new coil becasue the car runs smoother.  The
problem is I could not figure out what was wrong so I took the car to
my local 'european' car shop and they think it is one of the flywheel
sensors, they are checking to see which one right now. Do you guys have
any other suggestions? Also I had never heard of one of these sensors
failing and they are not available at my usual vendors, apparently not
even at the alfa warehouse.

ciao

sixto