Re: A weird problem...

Colin Cobb wrote:

>While Janet was in the store I waited in the car and noticed a very faint
>gurgling sound behind me accompanied by an even fainter, almost inaudible,
>whistle emanating from behind my left shoulder. Janet came out of the store
>and I asked her to open the gas tank which she did. Whhhooooshhhh! She
>replaced the cap, off we went...

>Again, the car ran good and a dozen miles later we were at home. As I
climbed
>out of the car I noticed the sounds again so I released the cap cover and
>removed the gas cap. Whhhooooshhhh! Accompanied by major gurgling sounds.

>Then, after half a mo, as I started to replace the cap, about half a pint
of
>high test comes shooting out the filler pipe... And I do mean shooting...
>gasoline actually hit the house a dozen feet away. Of course I got soaked
and
>the side of the car got drenched...

>Soooo.... What gives in this deal?

Colin - Yep, that's pretty weird. Is it possible you might have an exhaust
leak near the fuel tank? It could be heating up the fuel. It happened in my
truck. The thing actually stopped running from vapor lock while going up a
long grade with camper and boat and five days worth of stuff to support a
family in the wilderness in tow on what was an unpleasantly hot afternoon.
There we were, stuck at an 8% grade on a logging road under the blazing sun.

Well, there was hissing from the gas cap and when I removed it the pressure
whooshed out and the fuel started to boil and gushed out of the filler.
Being at about 5000 ft elevation didn't help maters any.

Anyway, it might be something like that. Then again, might not?

BTW After the truck cooled off we made it over the pass and down to the
lake.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project