Re: Donut doubt

Lee Scanlan wrote

>I have recently replaced the rear donut on my Alfetta sedan after a
complete
>segment flew off and the remaining item broke up with a big bang and
>discernable vibration.

>Whilst fitting the new donut, obtained overnight from helpful Turin Imports
>of Adelaide, I noticed the rubber moving through a good bit of axial
>distortion as the six fasteners were tightened. After all the nuts were
tight
>the donut looked like a giant rubber wave washer

Lee - check my webpage at:

http://www.crl.com/~pi/project/tech/driveline/donuts.htm

concerning this subject. I had the same problem and this is what I wrote at
the time:

As you look at one side of the donut you see six holes. On three of them
(every other one) there is a metal tab towards the center from the hole. On
the other side the opposite three holes have the tabs. These tabs fit into
locator holes on the driveshaft/flywheel and transaxle yoke flanges. If
you're
not paying attention you can get this wrong and it won't look wrong until
you get the whole mess installed and start to tighten up the other three
nuts. Even then you may not notice anything peculiar until you cut off the
compression strap....

My problem was that the donut was clocked 120 deg from where it was supposed
to be.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project