A weird problem...

Hey Guys,

At least this is weird to me... something I have never encountered before.

I gassed up Janet's '89 Spider Grad in El Paso on the last leg of a 1550 mile
tour and then drove on to Las Cruces where I parked the car and Janet ran into
the store to put two rolls of film in the One Hour shop. The car ran excellent
during the whole trip including from El Paso to Las Cruces, temp at normal, no
problems. Certainly nothing indicative of a fuel problem.

While Janet was in the store I waited in the car and noticed a very faint
gurgling sound behind me accompanied by an even fainter, almost inaudible,
whistle emanating from behind my left shoulder. Janet came out of the store
and I asked her to open the gas tank which she did. Whhhooooshhhh! She
replaced the cap, off we went...

Again, the car ran good and a dozen miles later we were at home. As I climbed
out of the car I noticed the sounds again so I released the cap cover and
removed the gas cap. Whhhooooshhhh! Accompanied by major gurgling sounds.
Then, after half a mo, as I started to replace the cap, about half a pint of
high test comes shooting out the filler pipe... And I do mean shooting...
gasoline actually hit the house a dozen feet away. Of course I got soaked and
the side of the car got drenched...

Soooo.... What gives in this deal?

- --Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA