164 input shaft (whiny grindy transmissions, not crunchy)

Matthew

According to my shop manual, and the friendly Italian mechanic who replaced
my input shaft bearing, it is necessary to pretty well strip the gearbox
because the case has to be removed to get at the bearings and gears which
are pressed off the shafts.

  BTW, it'll be the dirty end of the transmission you start with, the nice
clean bit stays face down on the bench most of the time you are doing this
work!

However, it looks feasible to get to the part where you remove the
mainshaft from the box and press off the old bearing and press on the new
one without removing the transmission shaft (mainshaft= input
shaft,  transmission shaft= output shaft). it should not be necessary to
remove all of the gears and bearings because the one you want should be
right at the end of the mainshaft.

  At least one other post suggested the inner end bearing is the one that
fails but I don't think that can be correct. Anyway, it'll be the one with
the busted plastic ball carrier which allows the balls to move around
inducing play in the bearing which allows the shaft to wobble and leads to
the ticking and grinding noises.

This is cold comfort because the transmission is basically 75% apart at
this point. The offending bearing is the "rear" bearing which is the ball
bearing on the shaft at the end of the box furthest from the bell housing.
Once the rear cover is removed you should be able to see the worn bearing,
inside the open end of the transmission case. Getting it off the shaft and
reinstalling the new one with the shaft in the transmission looks impossible.

Another Kiwi claimed to have done it while the box was still in the car?!!?
To get the mainshaft out you have to remove the transmission case and the
shafts then are supposed to lift out. Quite a bit of stuff has to come off
before the shaft can be removed.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada