Diagnosing a bad 1750 starter solenoid?

Today when I went to start my 1750 Berlina, the starter did absolutely
nothing.  Engne didn't turn and the starter didn't  click or make any other
sounds.  Battery is fine, car has been driven daily for the last several
weeks, last driven two days ago.   I disconected the wire that connects to
the spade terminal on the starter solenoid, and it was putting out more
than12 volts when I turned the key to the start position.  At first, I
could tell that turning the key to the start position was not putting a
load on the battery (headlights didn't dim; fuel pump did not change
pitch).  Then I got my son to turn the key to the start position while I
whacked the solenoid.  After a hit or two, the fuel pump pitch lowered and
I could get a condition when I could tell the starter (or soleniod) was
drawing currrent (fuel pump slowed, headlights dimmed), but still no sounds
from the solenoid or starter, and the engine didn't spin.

My past experience with failing solenoids has been that they gradually
start to fail, they will click, and a whack with an axe handle used in a
pool cue motion would free them up.   I haven't had problems with this
starter recently, though I did several months ago which was resolved by
tightening  the slightly loosened screws that hold the solenoid to the
starter.

Any suggestions before I remove the solenoid for inspection (and repair or
replacement)?   How do I test the solenoid after removal?  Any  tests I
should conduct before removal?    Thanks!

KCT
Knoxville,TN