164 02 Sensor, revisted

I have been reading the threads about replacing O2 sensors in our fine
Italian autos.  My on-board computer system is telling me that the
"heated lambda probe regulator inner adjuster reaches the minimum or the
maximum value of correction" or error code 1-2-2-3.  What excatly does
this mean?  Does this mean it's time to replace the old O2 sensor?

Will the Ford Taurus O2 sensor, as suggested by John Katos in an earlier
thread, work in the 164?  Has anybody replaced their 164 O2 sensor with
a GM sensor?

Please advise.

Chip Schug
91' 164 L (auto)