FW: Water pumps - a warning

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jon Inge [mailto:joninge@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 8:57 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Water pumps - a warning

Greetings all:

Just a heads-up warning if you're fitting a new water pump:  look over the
casting very carefully for flaws before fitting it, as there seem to be some
bad ones out there.  The one I just fitted to my '86 Spider proved to be
porous, leaking oil copiously through a hole in the casting opposite the old
speedo drive blanking plate.  Close inspection showed a flaw in the casting,
that looked like a pinhole in a bad weld on the outside and like pitting on
the inside of the speedo drive chamber.  The guy I bought it from replaced
it at once, and the new one's fine, but as anyone who's done this can tell
you, changing a water pump once is educational but tedious.  Changing it
twice is just tedious.  Check it first.

All the best

Jon Inge
86 Spider Veloce