RE: Croma V6

Chris wrote:

Mark Battley asked about the V6 used in the Lancia Thema - his quoted
displacement didn't seem right, so I trotted off to ask one of the chaps I
work with, who used to be a parts agent at NZ's official Alfa importers.
Naturally, there were also the official Lancia importer, so he had the
goods.

The Thema V6 is iron blocked, and a "bit of a boat anchor", apparently.
It's
2.8 litres, and although he couldn't remember the source clearly, he
thought
it was French in origin, possibly Renault (which means it may be the same
lump that powered the DeLorean). Wheverey it came from, it wasn't by Lancia
or Alfa. And while on the subject, the one to own apparently is the Thema
8.32, which he thinks is significantly better than the 164 (remember, this
guy is no stanger to 164s, or Ferraris for that matter).

Thanks Chris, but I was talking about the Croma, not the Thema. I'm aware
of the V6 Thema, which as I understand it uses the 2.8 litre French PSA V6,
as used in Renaults among others (and Volvo??). And yes, it is a "bit of a
boat anchor". But the specs for the Croma, which came from Fiat's own page
http://www.fiat.com/e/altro/croma/sc25v6.htm are:

Bore x stroke (mm)		88 x 68.3
Capacity (cc)			2492
Compression ratio		10:1
Max. power output: bhp-EC (kW-EC) at rpm
				159 (117) 5800
Peak torque: kgm-EC (Nm-EC) at rpm
				21.7 (216) 4500
Timing gear (control)		SOHC per row (belt)
Fuel feed			Bosch M 1.7 Motronic electronic MPI combined with ignition

Which has to be the Alfa V6: bore and stroke are right, power and torque
are within a couple of digits of that in the GTV6...

What is not mentioned on Fiat's page is when this model was built. The
other thing that is odd is that I've visited this page in the past (maybe a
year ago), and don't remember seeing this model. The Croma pages may only
still be active because they haven't been fully removed: the images have
gone, and the pages don't seem to be referenced from the main part of the
Fiat site.

Mark Battley
Auckland, NZ

1989 Croma