Odd carb problem

Hi all,

I have been having a strange problem with the 2600 this last week.

I took the car out Sun morning, drove around for about an hour, came home =
and put the car in the garage.  I went to take it out again in the =
afternoon. I backed it out of the garage onto the driveway and left it =
idling while I went to shut the garage door.  When I got back to the car a =
couple minutes later the revs began to drop slowly until the motor died.  =
I tried several times to restart the motor and it would fire, run for a =
few seconds and then die.  Eventually it wouldn't start at all.  It seemed =
like a fuel starvation problem or water in the line.  I pulled the fuel =
bowl and the was no water in it.

I won't bore you with the diagnostics, but I eliminated the ignition =
system as the source of the problem. I also confirmed that there was fuel =
getting to the inlet of the carbs.

I opened up the float chambers and they were all completely dry.  The float=
s were moving freely, but the needle valves were stuck closed. I gently =
loosened them, replaced the covers an the car started right up.  I took it =
around the block, parked it, waited a while and restarted it.  Then it =
happened again.  It slowed down and stalled.

What are the odds of all 3 needle valves sticking at the same time?  More =
importantly, what could cause this?  The fuel pump started making a funny =
noise around the same time this happened.  I am going to replace it.  Is =
it possible for the fuel pump to cause this condition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
=20
Dan Scolaro