164 A/T reliability

Hello fellow digesters,

My 164 A/T went out at around 120K. It started slipping very bad. while
replacing the Trans
I checked out the transmission fan and realized that,
 A.  it wasn't coming on, and

B. The fan is so loud that I don't think it ever came on. I ordered a new
sensor, (there are two
sensors one for the fan and one for the light they look identical except for
color of plastic and the
parts dealers are unable to distinguish between the two (and of course I got
the wrong one)
what I did was order the other one and until I arrived I used the new light
sensor in the fan position
what it does is keep the fan on all the time.

This could like many of the sensors on our cars be a weak point and it could
be heat unknowingly
that is prematurely wrecking our transmissions. So all you 164 A/T owners
check those fan switches.

Curtiss Norheim
Huntsville, Al
91 164L