164 high mileage AT stories.

Hello all,

I'm looking for a few high mileage testaments from some 164 automatic
transmission owners.  My 1999,164L has 123K miles on the original ZF
transmission with no signs of shifting problems.

I have heard more horror stories than positive feedback on these, and want to
hear the good reports.  Even the dealer seemed to question me when I
mentioned that it had not been replaced yet.  Was there a bad batch in the
early 91s, a history of improper kick down cable adjustments, or did the
masses forget to service them?

Lastly, for those unfortunate enough to experience the failure of the AT,
what were the warning signs?

Thanks in advance for sharing your stories.

Rick Rodosta
Eugene  OR
91 164L
86 Veloce Spider