Alfa, Mazda...et al

Mike Smith wrote "No I don't prefer my Mazda to my 164, but it is important
to remain objective. Alfas are about spirit and soul. Mazdas are about
avoiding Bankruptcy and getting to the church on time, time after time."

Like Mike, I love both of my Alfa's but I also appreciate what other marques
have brought to motor sport and to the motoring public.  Mazda made a
tremendous effort in supporting Sports Prototype racing, Toyota ran very
successfully in GTP and has now announced a F1 effort starting in '03 as
well as their currently less than successful CART effort.  Honda had long
supported F1 and now CART, winning championships in both.   The efforts of
Nissan/Lexus in IRL have been rather anemic but they still plug on against
the Aurora. Many of the innovations these companies made in their racing
efforts are now showing up in their consumer market. I agree with Mike and
give credit where credit is due, then I go drive the Alfa.

Jerry in Houston