Fan Thermostatic Switch

I just replaced the thermostatic fan switch in my 83 GTV-6. It is wired so
that the switch is on the positive (hot) side of the fan.  Is there a
preference as to whether the switch should be on the hot or positive side, or
on the ground side of the fans?  Or does it matter?
Anybody in the Houston area want to go to Austin next weekend for the Great
Roads of Texas Rally?  My wife will only go if we take the 164 and I want to
take the GTV-6 so she said I can go by myself.  Or is anyone going that would
like to caravan?

Jerry in Houston