Trans mount bushing questions?

Could someone remind me how the tranny mount bushing is supposed to be
oriented-- big hole up or down? I thought I had mine correct, but I'm still
frustrated by driveline vibration problems and am checking everything for
the third time! I notice that the transmission rear end seems to have a lot
of play (~1inch total deflection). Is this normal? The bushing (sometimes
called a "silent block") is only a year old.

Thanks-
Mike Grace
'74 GTV
Santa Barbara