Another 164 on campus .... also Clutch cable

Thanks to all that guided me a couple of weeks ago on tires and alignment.
I found a BMW, audi, mercedes, etc. mechanic that seems reputable, to do
my alignment. He also will do front and rear for 50 bucks. I ended up
getting P6000s. I do not have that much money, so I got the SPORT VELOCE
version that are cheap. I can't afford to spend $650 on tires.
Among the strangest things happened to me the other day. I was stuck in a
terrible storm while going to lab (I am in college), so I darted into a
parking spot, and to my disbelief, there was an alfa 164 in front of me.
Now how often does that happen?
I left a note on the windshield, and am now in contact with the owner. He
also goes to school here.
Anyway, I was talking to him, and he said that his cable for his clutch
just broke, and he brought it into a mechanic. I am not sure where he
brought it, but I was wondering if it was something he could fix himself.
I am not asking for pages of instructions, I just would like to know if it
is a task for someone who is not capable of replacing the transmission...

Thanks,

Karl Robrock (I'm not the only Karl on the digest)
'91 164L