re:SpiralMAX "supercharger" for Milano/V6

Chip asked about this SpiralMAX 'gizmo'.  It sounds a lot like the "Swarup"
(sp?) that was marketed primarily for motorcycles several years ago.  There
were little vanes in the center of this thing, that were supposed to increase
fuel atomization, increase fuel economy, and boost power.  Hmmm?  Can you
say, "Snake Oil?"

A couple of magazines tested them, and found that there was NO power increase,
although, the drivability was a bit better, mostly due to the horrible effects
of smog tuning of the motors fo that time.  Seems that anything that you put
in the intake path will limit the amoung of air/fuel that will get to the cylinders.

Bottom line?  Don't expect miracles.  If you want more horsepower, you have to
feed them ponies.

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal

>>Yesterday in the back of Grassroots Motorsports magazine I came across
an ad claiming to "Supercharge any car". I went to their web page and
checked it out. Well... it's not a supercharger, but a "combination
vortex generator, velocity stack, and venturi, made of stainless steel,
installed in the air path, that extends the resident time between gas
and air, maximizing vaporization for better combustion." according to
their web page. It looks like a little stationary (no... it doesn't
move) turbine that mounts in the air path to create a vortex in the
intake air. On EFI cars like my Milano you insert it into the flexible
intake hose between the filter and the manifold. Supposedly it swirls
the air to create better combustion and give you 0-35% power increase.
They also state that you can use two per hose to double the "boost".
Their customer board is full of people with dyno results ranging from
Ford Explorers to even an Alfa 156!
Is this thing for real? or is it just BS? It would be great it if could
actually give up some noticeable performance increases like it promises.

Tell me what you think! Does it sound like it's worth $69.95/spiralMAX
unit?!? Thanks.
Chip>>