RE: new 164 noise

Ryan,

This is very likely the accessory belt that drives the water and a/c pumps.
This belt needs quite a bit of tension to operate properly and if the p/o
just replaced the timing belt, he had to remove this belt to do it. Even at
more or less proper tension, the (my) belt will squeal if wet. If you are a
do-it-yourselfer, remove the right front wheel and the forward fender
liner. You now have access to the belt which runs forward from the center
of the engine. the tensioner is the idler wheel to the right, held on by
two bolts. Sorry, I don't have the specs here at work. Retension this belt
and your noise should go away.

Bob Abhalter
Grand Rapids MI
'91 164L (with a new timing belt this weekend, which is why I know this
answer)
'69 Spider
'68 GT Junior