RE: Electromotive Ignition

> I have an HPV-1 on my '78 308 and it works wonders.  The driveability is
much
> improved and I get about 20 mpg on the highway.  This system is far
superior
> to the original points and condensers that I orignially had (but so is the
> electronic ignition that you already have on your V6).  I believe that
this
> system is also an upgrade to your stock system.  It will provide a much
> better spark and is tuneable.  The advance curve can be altered to fit
your
> taste.  There is also a rev limiter.  If you want to get more
sophisticated,
> you can go with an HPV-3, but that requires a laptop to set the curve.  I
> even passed smog with it.  I am thouroughly impressed.

henry,

you poor, uninformed individual.

if the digest has taught you anything, it should be that you can't improve
upon the factory in any area.  sure, a cheap aftermarket ignition system
might be an improvement for a lowley automobile such as a ferrari, but not
for an alfa romeo!

the original points and consensers that you so hastily discard are optimal.
the entire alfa cylinder head was designed around that, er, uh, anemic level
of spark, and to change the spark is only inviting disaster.  for example,
that hotter spark that you blindly assume is better, without appropriately
designed camshafts, intake ports, and fuel delivery, can result in
significantly warmer exhaust temperatures which could, ultimately, lease to
an explosion in the gas tank.  do you really think those extra horsepower
and 'improved' drivability are worth all that?

i didn't think so.

bs

disclaimer - the above was a joke.  i have no reason to believe that henry
is uninformed, or poor (although owning two italian cars might be getting
him there).  as with the brass stepper motor gears, i'm wondering what
arguments the factory is perfect crowd might offer in favor of points and
condensers over a modern electronic ignition system in their older alfas.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1058