Re: Registering US Spec Cars in Europe

My info. is about 10+ years old, but in Germany, you must pay the V.A.T.
(Mehwertsteuer (spell?), change the speedo to KM, turn signals to amber and
get it TUeV approved (car inspection), as you must with any cars. It was
not difficult. I like their standards far better.

Now, going the opposite way was a far different experience. I also brought
a 911 back to the US and it was far more ridiculous, while I applaud the
EPA emission standards and don't even mind the DOT's, most of the cost
involved were for the paperwork and bureaucratic non sense. And at least in
Massachusetts I continued to get harassed by the RMV even after I got the
EPA/DOT clearance. For instance, they wanted to assign their own VIN which
was not recognized by anyone else, then they changed their mind and went
back to the original, every time, I had to go to a special testing station
and get the car inspected, it was a huge nuisance. I sold the car.

Alfa or no Alfa, I will never touch another grey or privately imported car
again, it was just not worth the hassle.

YMMV,

	- Steve.

lotsa American GIs bring their American and Japanese cars over
>there (Germany in particular) and then sell them to the locals after they
are done with them.