Distributor rotor position

I've got my Spider engine completely assembled (finally) and I bought a new
Bosch distributor with magnetic pickup from Centerline to replace the
original breaker-point Marelli distributor. Now, all through the years that
I've been working on 4 cyl Alfas it's been a rule that when everything was
put together correctly the distributor rotor points forward when #1 is at
TDC on compression stroke. Well this new Bosch distributor ends up at about
11 o'clock. I know it won't affect anything but I was wondering why this is
so. The Marelli rotor is directly in line with the drive cogs whereas the
Bosch is not. So, other than realigning the oil pump (which I'm not going to
do) there is no way to get the rotor to point forward.

Has this happened to everyone else?

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project