Re: Milano Super Sport Suspension & other stuff

Chip wrote:

"I ordered the complete Super sport suspension package from AR Ricambi (sway
bars, springs, torsion bars, & Konis). Today one of the local Alfa mechanics
mentioned to me that everyone that he's done the SS package for hated it
because it was noisy. He said it would groan and squeak."

Well, i installed the sport (only) package on my Milano and, guess what? it
groans and squeaks. But heck, i can't hear it while i'm driving - only when
i jack the car up (fairly often, these days). And here's a news flash: that
sway bar lubricant and "speziale" tape "designed to prevent squeaking" get
twisted out after a few kilometers - if anyone knows of a way to keep the
tape in place, i sure would be curious to know! Seems that it might need a
hard teflon, acetal or HDPE bushing between the bar and the polyurethane.

Also, check to see if the bar is long enough for its end to clear the
sheetmetal near the mounting clamps. Also, also, ewe mite kneed (oops,
sorry, a wittle "Sedonism" boiling up there in my writing) to reinforce the
mounting pads on the frame to prevent cracking (have not done this on mine
but did re-weld that entire area instead)

On another matter, a Milano's calipers are attached in the leading position
(ahead of the axle centerline) and I was oneduhring how much that
contributed to dive, compared to calipers located aft of the centerline.
Might be possible to change the configuration by swapping right for left and
rewelding the steering crank... .