HELP! Changing Clutch Master Cylinder

I am changing the clutch master cyl on my 1984 Spider Veloce.  I purchased a
used master cyl from someone on the Digest a while back (what the heck it was
only $10, in good shape and worth the "gamble").  Yesterday I started
installing it on my car which up to now has been going very smoothly...it
seems that the line will not thread back onto the unit for final connection
before bleeding.  I have been driven crazy since something so simple will not
work.  I am using a 11mm open/box combo and it feels like it "catches" before
falling out.  I have not forced anything so not to ruin the threads.

I inspected the old unit and found nothing different except one potentially
crucial item:  the cylinder I removed was imprinted "ATE" and the unit I am
replacing it with is imprinted with "Bendix".  (I know a number of European
marques used Bendix, Girling and ATE sometimes interchangeably, but...)

MY QUESTION is this, everything else fits to the car, so would there be a
different thread pattern on the Bendix unit BEING INSTALLED and the ATE unit
that WAS on the car?  If there is no difference, are there any
"tricks-of-the-trade" that can be used?  This is driving me nuts...I am ready
to just buy a new unit and eat crow. (and more time wresting with a small
space and parts all over again)

Chris Finks
AROO/AROC
Portland, OR