re: Refinishing a dashboard??

I did all the wood in my 72 GTV, dash, console, and also door handles.
I didn't have the trim for the door handles so I just matched the
other wood trim. I laminated a piece of veneer to a piece of basswood.
The veneer came from a woodworker's store (national chain plus mail
order www.rocker.com or 800.279.4441). The basswood from a local
hobbyshop dealing with RC aircraft models. Both pieces were over 3' by
about 1'. The woodworker folks got me to use an epoxy adhesive
thinking regular contact adhesive would not hold up under constant
temperature change a humidity in a car. I had a very difficult time
with the epoxy. My glue job didn't come out flat but was good enough
to block sand flat. I later noticed that they carried 1x4' pieces of
veneer with a sticky backing. I'd try that next time. I sealed both
sides of the laminated piece with spar varnish. I mixed some color in
using a raw sienna oil paint for a warm yellow tan look. For mahogany
you'll need something else. Careful a few drops were enough for each
coat. I mixed each coat separate from the whole can. I liked using
those foam disposable brushes for the varnish. Almost no brush lines.
Between coats block sand with 400 grit paper. You can go up to 600
grit but I've been told the varnish needs some bite to hold each coat.
Towards the top I had the color I wanted so I started using straight
varnish. Be sure to use a sanding block. If you have trouble with the
final finish you can sand with up to say 1000 grit then use a fine
hand polish but you will end up with more of a matte finish. Fine hand
polish will also do a great job on any metal trim. I thought mine was
toast but after an hour of cleaning and polishing it looked new. If
you think your original wood is OK then you can proceed directly to
the finishing steps but I'd try working on the back side first. On my
72 most of the veneer was held in place by clips on the back of the
2000 badge, by the instrument cluster, and on the console by the trim
around the shift boot. Yours will be similar but quite different if
that makes any sense. I probably have well over a dozen coats of
varnish on the top side and 2 on the back. After sanding I couldn't
say how much remains. Good luck.

Emmo
72 GTV - They'll bury me in her
76 Spider - for sale, good beginning track car for $3995.00