Re: Modifications to a '74 GTV

In a message dated 9/7/99 10:49:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< > Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:02:39 -0400
 > From: "Watry, Andrew" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
 > Subject: Non-original changes to 74 GTV?
 >
 > I stripped everything off my 74 US GTV yesterday, readying it for the paint
 > shop, and am debating whether to go with two non-original changes:
 >
 > 1.  Delete front and rear rectangular side marker lights?  Alternatively,
 > install just small Euro "dot" front markers, or 1600-style front markers?

Hi, Andrew. Last year I bought a so-called "time capsule"  '74 GTV , a
one-owner authenticated 24,000 mile car which sat too long in the garage.
Consequence.. lot's of seals to change, etc. The worst was the paint which
was beige.  So I decided to strip the car completely and do a serious bare
metal repaint. Paint was changed to a Milano Red (#530 Alfa, I think). The
marker lights came off altogether for a much nicer look. I figured I could
always install the European dot front lights later if I wanted to. To improve
things I changed the coil springs to Centerline's lower springs and this made
a world of difference both in looks and in stability. To top it off I changed
the wheels from the turbine cast alloys to the Sperry Valve forged Aluminum
GTA wheels. The car is now sensational and has been acclaimed by our club as
the nicest GTV imaginable. It's stunning.

Good luck with yours and get rid of those awful marker lights.

Marc Mosko
'65 Spider Veloce (restoration going well)
'74 GTV2000 (no more new car pangs... this is the best ride around)