Re: GTV Mods

Andrew:

I did precisely these changes on my red 73 Berlina.  The side marker lights
are large, ugly, breed rust, and their removal definitely smooths out the
fenderline to the way it was intended.  The only catch is that the holes
that need to be filled will require a skillful butt weld with a precisely
fitted patch panel, and the operation can warp the panel if done
incorrectly with too much heat (ask me how I know).   If you want to avoid
a lot of filler, you need a good metal worker.

The rear license plate "hood" was also an easy delete, and allowed me to
raise  the license plate  so that it was on the same horizointal plane as
the two taillights.  Then  I used some spiffy "bullet" light/nuts to affix
the license plate to the car, and they provided the legal lights for the
plate.  The result is a much improved & simplified rear treatment.  I have
pictures if you need them...

That said, I'll probably keep the small round side marker lights on my 69
gtv when I restore that body.  They are a lot less obtrusive and original
for the year/model which will always enhance its  value to future buyers.
Retrofitting these small lights to your 74 would make no sense and the
worst of both situations - permanent panel welding/changes and then a
nonoriginal replacement.

Kct