Re: Non-original changes to 74 GTV?

> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:02:39 -0400
> From: "Watry, Andrew" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
> Subject: Non-original changes to 74 GTV?
>
> I stripped everything off my 74 US GTV yesterday, readying it for the paint
> shop, and am debating whether to go with two non-original changes:
>
> 1.  Delete front and rear rectangular side marker lights?  Alternatively,
> install just small Euro "dot" front markers, or 1600-style front markers?

I would go with the European marker lamps.

> 2.  Remove "shelf" on rear panel with license light and "Alfa Romeo" block
> letters, and swap to earlier 2000 bumper that includes the in-bumper license
> lights?

I would do this change, too.

> I think these are both esthetic improvements, but am torn about messing with
> originality on my car.  This is a car I plan to keep.  I normally go for
> originality (within reason), but my personal feeling is that some of the
> last stylistic changes to US GTVs were not for the better.  Comments
> appreciated, particularly from folks who may have made such changes.  Thanks

The word "original" is quite variable in meaning when applied to Alfas
delivered in the late 60s and early 70s.  "Original" can mean as delivered or
it can mean as originally designed.

In my view, alterations dictated by the U.S. DOT can hardly be called
"original", particularly when they result in changes to the suspension
geometry.  So, the jacked up nose on the Giulia, 1750, and 2000 Sprints
delivered in the US is not original, it is a bastardization.  Likewise,
the jacked up Alfetta Sprints and GTV6s can hardly be called original.

chrisp