Book Review, What's your Favourite?

I don't often see mention of new Alfa related books on the digest, so would
like to pass on my thoughts on one I picked up recently.

'Alfa Romeo - The Spirit of Milan' by David G Styles, could be described as
just another history of the cross and serpent, and indeed to a large extent
it is just that. However, what sets this one apart, for me at least, is the
number of previously unpublished photographs it contains.

Anyone who collects Alfa books will recognise straight away a number of
stock publicity shots, and Museum pictures, but these are balanced by a
great number of photo's depicting some lesser known models, and a few
curiosities. For a start there is a 0-4-0 diesel shunting engine, powered by
Alfa Romeo. This was a new one on me, I had no idea that Alfa produced
railway engines. Some are more familiar, like the dual fuel cookers (stoves)
and the aircraft. There are some interesting trucks and coaches included,
the Tipo 50 truck being able to pull a load of 10 tons, PLUS a 10 ton
trailer. Some diesel!

There are some interesting motor sport pictures as well, my favourite being
a real 'team' shot of the Tipo 33 TT12's in 1975, with Dereck Bell/Henri
Pescarolo and Arturo Merzario/Vittoria Brambilla and Carlo Chiti at the
Austrian 1,000kms. Everyone looks so happy, it's a great picture.

Inevitably, this book seems like a consolidation of various other titles, I
won't name any, but if you look you'll know what I mean. That said, it is
well written and involving, and provides some little tit bits you may not
have read before.

Most quirky photo?  An allied bomb fall plot of the Milan works during WW2,
after the 484th Bombardment Group had beat them up. I guess there were
digesters around then, because the accuracy of the bombardiers was none to
hot. Just as well for us!

All in all, a worth while addition to the library.

The ISBN numbering differs between the cover and the inside page, could be
an error - for the record, this book is ISBN 0-7509-1958-2 (cover),  ISBN
0-7509-1924-8 otherwise. I bought it from an internet book shop that sounds
like a South American river....

The usual disclaimers apply!

One final thought.......what's your favourite Alfa Romeo book?

Ciao,

Ian