Celebrity Pro Drivers

I missed Monterey this year for the second time in the last 17 years
(four in 21 years) so didn't see the Moss fiasco and have a question and
a comment.

In '97 I heard that Moss had contact with Alfa Sprint Speciale driver
Doug Munson and that Doug was sat down.  I saw Doug's SS parked in the
paddock but never could find him.  What was the story?  I have run with
Doug at Monterey many times with no problem - he just runs away from me
- - so would like to hear that story.  Doug, are you out there?

I have raced with Stirling Moss, Phil Hill and Sir Jack Brabham at the
Palm Springs vintage races.  One of my favorite pictures is of me in a
Lotus 61E leading Stirling  in a front engine FJ - of course he is
lapping me but it sure looks like I was ahead.  Running with Phil Hill
is fun too.  There is no thrill (1200 carrier landings and a Vietnam
combat tour included) like being passed by Phil  in a Formula 1 Ferrari
- - the sound is almost like a sonic boom.  If you are slow enough it can
(did) happen twice.  I have spun in Sir Jack's oil - his loaned Brabham
puked an engine load about three cars ahead.

Comment:

Celebrity pro drivers are subject to borrowed/loaned rides (see P. Hill
in the Stutz this year at MHAR and Sir Jack at Palm Springs) and track
conditions.  Turn two at Laguna to me is one of the most challenging
turns on California race courses.  Sears Point has the most number and
Willow Springs has the most potentially dangerous.  Laguna two to me is
slick, "seems" off-camber and I can't figure out if it a dual apex turn
(like the old turn six at Riverside) or a complex single apex turn.  The
Moss incident could have been a combination of factors - poor car, bad
track, pilot error.  But if Moss ran into an Alfa driver I am peeved.

Anyone out there with another insight.

Dave Mericle the Elder
Leucadia, CA  BEACH-N-RIDES